The St. Regis Moscow Nikolskaya
St. Regis is proud to announce the debut of The St. Regis Moscow Nikolskaya, redefining elegance in a landmark restoration.
The name Nikolskaya comes from the monastery of St Nicholas Old, built in 1390 on Vladimir Road, on the site where Nikolskaya Street runs today. The name was first recorded in 1547.
Until the end of the 15th century, when Red Square was built, the street led directly to the Nicholas Gates of the Kremlin, then later, directly into Red Square. In the 17th century, Nikolskaya Street contained houses for nobles and was one of the few in Moscow paved with wood. The names Bolshoi Cherkassky and Maly Cherkassky, which today border the hotel building, recalls a court of Cherkassky dukes - the largest residence in the times of Peter the Great.
Nikolskaya Street was historically not only one of the main business routes of Moscow, but also "the heart of Orthodox spirit, literary wisdom and academic scholarship." Nikolskaya Street is where most bookshops resided in the second half of the 19th and early 20th centuries. According to archives, 26 of 31 of then existing city bookshops were on Nikolskaya Street.
Every building on the street tells its own story, and one of them is of a gorgeous house opening onto the street from Lubyanka Square - its own history starting in the 1870s.
This is the building at Nikolskaya Street 12. In the first half of the 18th century, there were mansions at this address, but they were demolished in 1869.
In 1877-79, architect Robert Gedike built houses for Count Alexei Orlov-Davydov, Master of Ceremonies for the court and deputy of IV State Duma.
The Count lived in St Petersburg, and rented the premises of his Moscow apartment building. One of the tenants was the famous Sytin, who opened a bookstore in the house. Another tenant was Roman R. Koeller (1838-1907) of perfumery fame.
Heir to the Orlov family, Alexei left for France in 1917, ending his days at the Russian House in Sainte-Genevieve-des-Bois.